[alt-photo] Re: Gum over cyanotype question

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue Feb 28 10:59:52 GMT 2012

Paper and sizing are important for sure. But IME, when everything else
is kept the same, thinner coatings / emulsions give better apparent
clarity / sharpness. (But all this is in the academic sense / at micro
scale; it's the final outcome of the whole "system" - materials /
process / image / vision / interpretation / so on / so on... - that
matters ultimately...) I use a fairly thick gum solution myself, and
never managed to get as good sharpness as I could get from (say)
cyanotype, not that it was detrimental to the gum image or something -
just when you compare each in a nitpicking (if you like) manner.
Trivial indeed...

Regards,
Loris.