[alt-photo] Re: Fumed Silica, results ?

Daniel Williams dtwilliams3 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 4 17:58:25 GMT 2012

On 1/4/2012 9:22 AM, Kurt Nagy wrote:
> I'm confused on what Silica is used for.  Is it a size?   Is it only used in PT/PD or can it be used in Gum as well?
>
> What benefits does it give over say, PVA

Dick Sullivan of Bostick & Sullivan has a free PDF file available at
http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/1251-fumed-silica/page__pid__9564#entry9564
This link will take you to a thread on his forum.  There is more
information in the thread that you may find interesting.

I have not tried it myself yet but will likely give it a shot
eventually.  I would not want to apply the dry stuff in my darkroom.  It
is such a fine material that rolling or brushing it onto the paper is
bound to introduce it into the air.  I certainly don't want to add
anymore dust in the darkroom.  If it works well, the liquid version
sounds better to me.

Dan Williams