[alt-photo] Re: scanning negatives (negative carrier)

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Mon Jan 9 08:19:31 GMT 2012

I bought a neg carrier from Doug Fisher soon after it became available but he
didn't make a 35mm carrier. I don't think he offered one since then, at least
for V700 series. But he does seem to have AN glass to slip over the flimsy Epson
carrier, so that might be better than nothing. Not ideal though.

Regarding the contrast and readable Dmax, I used to post RAW readings of a step
wedge on my website, and it does have a gradual loss of contrast in dense area.
This make me think straight-line films are better than traditional films with
gentle shoulder region.

I also thought about this process, and came up with a few differences from when
developing for printing:

- exact control of contrast not as important - contrast to print on grade 2.5
   or 3.5 paper makes little difference after digital correction. Higher contrast
   is ok as long as DR is clear. Much lower contrast neg might give more grain/noise
   when contrast is digitally boosted.
- straight-line highlight with longer toe is better for exposure latitude
   (curve shapes can be changed to whatever you want anyway)
- a tradeoff exists between low granularity and medium accutance (granularity
   goes up when accutance is enhanced digitally)
- low fog is desirable

I might have to go to a library to find the issue of View Camera you
mentioned... but are there any other factors that get discussed?

I think T-MAX Developer fits the bill as far as the tonality and contrast
control is concerned, but not sure about grain-accutance tradeoff. But for
today's experimentation I took one of my formula and modified it for all powder
formulation (20g of the powder mix per liter of water to make working solution).
Once I nailed the details, I think I'll find a plastic spoon so that one scoop
makes 10g of this powder mix or 500ml of working solution, or something like
that. When I have little reason to control contrast very tightly, that should be
more than enough---tho it should be tested first.

It's also kinda funny that the films I never liked when printing in darkroom are
now top candidates to re-test.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)