[alt-photo] Re: scanning negatives (negative carrier)

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:04:38 GMT 2012

Just getting back in town and haven't had a chance to read the previous
I've found is to simply wet mount the negatives for scanning. I was very
turned off by the idea at first but having seen the results and having seen
that it is no where near as messy as I thought it would be it is what I do
in order to get the absolute best scans possible. I use a dedicated
scanning met mount solution that is alcohol free and vaporizes as soon as
the negative is removed. It leaves no residue and calls for no additional
clean up. Dust is usually sucked to the edges of the negative and out of
the image area, Newton rings are eliminated entirely, and the negative is
held flatter then any other means. I would encourage you to give it a try.
Just use the proper materials and you wont have any problems.

Best,
Francesco