[alt-photo] Re: scanning negatives (negative carrier)

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Mon Jan 9 18:03:13 GMT 2012

Is it practical to do wet mount with curly 35mm film strips? (I'm shooting a toy
camera.)

You know 35mm films like to curl up longitudinally when processed and hang dry.
I want to scan them without first flattening them, so that I can get the
shortest dry-to-digital turnaround time.

In that case, I thought I could probably scan un-dried wet film strips, but
that's probably a bad idea. First of all, the gelatin layer is still swollen and
the image may not be as sharp. Secondly drying short strips of film will be a
real PITA. But I'm open to this option if there are good solutions.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)

Mark Nelson wrote:
> [...]
>
> Mark Nelson
> www.PrecisionDigitalNegatives.com
> PDNPRint Forum @ Yahoo Groups
> www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com
>
> sent from my iPhonetypeDeviceThingy
>
> On Jan 9, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Francesco Fragomeni<fdfragomeni at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Just getting back in town and haven't had a chance to read the previous
>> I've found is to simply wet mount the negatives for scanning. I was very
>> turned off by the idea at first but having seen the results and having seen
>> that it is no where near as messy as I thought it would be it is what I do
>> in order to get the absolute best scans possible. I use a dedicated
>> scanning met mount solution that is alcohol free and vaporizes as soon as
>> the negative is removed. It leaves no residue and calls for no additional
>> clean up. Dust is usually sucked to the edges of the negative and out of
>> the image area, Newton rings are eliminated entirely, and the negative is
>> held flatter then any other means. I would encourage you to give it a try.
>> Just use the proper materials and you wont have any problems.
>>
>> Best,
>> Francesco
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Jacques Augustowski<py1hy at terra.com.br>wrote:
>>
>>> Should I shoot for scanning? Why not go digital all the way? So I
>>> have to shoot two films for the same scene , one for scanning and one
>>> for printing.  The video mentions a miracle developer, don't worry
>>> about temperature, don't worry about developing time! IE in the 1600s
>>> for TRIX and get a good negative. Probably he is using PS with its
>>> maximum capacity, not to say hours in front of his monitor trying to
>>> correct the curves and trying to get something in the Zone III. The
>>> maximum, expose for the low lights and develop for the high lights is
>>> dead. All those who use the zone system will be questioning his method
>>> of testing the developers and film.
>>> Jacques Augustowski
>>>             PY1HY
>>> On Seg 09/01/12 03:54 , Don Bryant donsbryant at gmail.com sent:
>>> Oh, and one other thing, Diafine can be used for an easy no brainer
>>> developer for roll films. There is a blog to ref.
>>>
>>> http://figitalrevolution.com/2008/03/20/processing-black-and-white-film-for-
>>> [1]
>>> scanning-diafine-and-tx/
>>> Diafine works well with more than just Tri-X. Most pictorial films
>>> play well
>>> with Diafine. Also D-23. Sandy King wrote an article for View Camera
>>> mag. A
>>> awhile back discussing the merits of Diafine and D-23, if I recall
>>> correctly.
>>> Personally, I prefer TMAX developer though for me a 1:9 or 1:7 works
>>> better
>>> than the 1:4 recommended dilution. Diafine has the added benefit of a
>>> long
>>> working life since it is a 2 part developer.
>>> spacing (almost no space to hold down without blocking the image