[alt-photo] Re: Dmax for silver paper

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Fri Jan 13 21:52:41 GMT 2012

The Dmax is limited mostly by the surface texture. If you control light
scattering at or near the surface of the print, good paper-developer combination
should give you 2 to 2.4 range (glossy is best). However, if these things are
not controlled well, Dmax reading of 1.5 is not surprising, especially with
matte surface.

Just like what Apple did to their screens, glossy surface gives you the best
result if you can avoid reflection/glare. In less ideal conditions, semi-matte
may look better, but you suffer the tone in the very dark area.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)