[alt-photo] Re: Dmax for silver paper

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Fri Jan 13 23:47:02 GMT 2012

Pierre wrote:

>Which paper do you use?

I don't make SG prints anymore -- all of the papers I liked are long
gone.  For prints that have the look of a classic SG print, I use
inkjet on glossy photo paper or carbon transfer onto baryta paper.  I
also print Pt on baryta paper, but that has a look all its own.

And yes, ferrotyping has always been a real pain.  Best results are
obtained without heat ("real" ferrotype sheets were polished,
chrome-plated steel sheets much like cookie sheets).  In my
experience, plate glass (not window glass) works even better.  Some
folks wax the ferrotype sheets (or glass) if they have a problem
getting prints to release when they are dry.  You squeegee the washed
prints firmly -- very firmly -- to the sheets and wait for them to
dry and pop off.  Note that you need to mix your fixer without
hardener to get any sort of ferrotyping to work well.  You also need
to go heavy on the wetting agent (Photo-Flo or equivalent) and there
must be excess water on the surface when the print meets the sheet or
drum.  For heated drum-type dryers, use the lowest heat that releases
the print after a full rotation, or even much lower and let them go
around twice.  Polish the drum with Simichrome polish (do not wax it).

Best regards,

etienne