[alt-photo] Re: Dmax for silver paper

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Sat Jan 14 07:15:21 GMT 2012

Pierre wrote:

>My dryer is flat. I can dry on both side though.  So there's no
>rotation.  I think my drier is a premier dryer.

OK, I thought you might have had a professional drum drier.  The
Premier dryers are unmitigated crap -- my advice is to throw it away
before you ruin any more prints.  They run way too hot and even when
they were new the surface was not nearly smooth enough for proper
ferrotyping.  It is best to dry prints without heat -- the usual
method is on nylon screens held horizontal in a frame, or squeegeed
to plate glass or a ferrotype sheet if you want a full glossy
finish.  You can use a fan to blow room-temperature air across them
to speed things up a bit.

>So you have to wait for the print to pop off by themselves?

Yes, if you don't want to damage them.

>How do you know when they are ready because they are under the canvas.

You can't ever get good results with a Premier.  They always run way
too hot and the heat is very uneven -- they have hot spots that are
even hotter than the already too-hot rest of the surface.  As I said,
do yourself a favor and throw it away.

>You also said to squegee the print but then later on you added to
>have water (with photo flo) between the print and the plate. Which
>method is best?

They are the same method.  Start with the print nice and wet with
water and photo-flo, then "roll" it down onto the glass so there is
good, wet contact and no air bubbles or dry spots.  Then squeegee
very firmly.  The prints should stick tight to the glass, then pop
off when they are dry.

>Now, on the inkjet part..I really have never seen a good inkjet
>print. Maybe because i can tell it is an inkjet print. They have no
>dimension to me.

Sorry, I don't understand that.  It sounds like an audiophool saying
the highs are "too white."  If one gets the tonal mapping right (the
success rate on this seems on par with printers using traditional
methods -- which is to say, ever so slightly better than dismal), and
doesn't try to print the pixels too big, I find that one can make
very nice inkjet prints.  I have scanned old negatives and made
inkjet prints that are just as pleasing (to me, anyway) as my
original prints.  However, it generally requires a B&W-only setup
with several grey inks in addition to black.  As far as longevity
goes, Dr. Wilhelm seems to think most of the current art-quality
inkjet media and supplies will be stable for more than 100 years,
which is more than enough for me.

Best regards,

etienne