[alt-photo] Re: SG drying/ferrotyping [WAS: Dmax for silver paper]

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Sat Jan 14 17:44:17 GMT 2012

Pierre wrote:

>my dryer is an array brand and not premier

If you mean Arkay, and specifically the T2C, it is a re-branded
Premier (or vice-versa).  Or, at least, they were back when I had
examples of both handy.)  Also sold under several other brand names.

>Would a piece of glass from a frame work?
>or does it have to be special glass?

The surface on plate glass is much smoother, and it is not hard to
get.  Look up "glass" in the yellow pages for a glass shop near
you.  They will cut it to size and break the sharp edges.

Richard wrote:

>The material the plate is made of is important; the easiest to use
>plates are bright chrome plated with a mirror smooth finish. The
>finish of the plate is molded into the gelatin of the print so the
>print will be no glossier than the surface of the plate.

Correct.  The Premier/Arkay home units use stainless steel that is
not polished nearly to the degree that proper chromed steel ferrotype
plates are (and it does not have the plating, which fills in the
remaining surface imperfections on "real" ferrotype sheets).

>Real chrome plates may be difficult to find.

These days, yes -- pretty much everyone who wants full glossy prints
uses glossy RC papers that are already that way.

>I've seen both flat and roller squeegees recommended and think it
>makes no difference.

Both work fine.  I used a flat squeegee out of personal preference.

>For whatever reason glossy RC paper has a glossier finish than I
>have ever seen on a ferrotyped fiber print but you can come close.

"Ferrotyping" on plate glass can do as well, IME.  I never waxed the
glass, but my final polish (with Simichrome) probably left a minute
trace of oil on it.

Best regards,

etienne