[alt-photo] Re: SG drying/ferrotyping [WAS: Dmax for silver paper]

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 14 19:24:23 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "etienne garbaux" <photographeur at nerdshack.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:44 AM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: SG drying/ferrotyping [WAS: Dmax
for silver paper]

> Pierre wrote:
>
>>my dryer is an array brand and not premier
>
> If you mean Arkay, and specifically the T2C, it is a
> re-branded Premier (or vice-versa).  Or, at least, they
> were back when I had examples of both handy.)  Also sold
> under several other brand names.
>
>>Would a piece of glass from a frame work?
>>or does it have to be special glass?
>
> The surface on plate glass is much smoother, and it is not
> hard to get.  Look up "glass" in the yellow pages for a
> glass shop near you.  They will cut it to size and break
> the sharp edges.
>
> Richard wrote:
>
>>The material the plate is made of is important; the
>>easiest to use plates are bright chrome plated with a
>>mirror smooth finish. The finish of the plate is molded
>>into the gelatin of the print so the print will be no
>>glossier than the surface of the plate.
>
> Correct.  The Premier/Arkay home units use stainless steel
> that is not polished nearly to the degree that proper
> chromed steel ferrotype plates are (and it does not have
> the plating, which fills in the remaining surface
> imperfections on "real" ferrotype sheets).
>
>>Real chrome plates may be difficult to find.
>
> These days, yes -- pretty much everyone who wants full
> glossy prints uses glossy RC papers that are already that
> way.
>
>>I've seen both flat and roller squeegees recommended and
>>think it makes no difference.
>
> Both work fine.  I used a flat squeegee out of personal
> preference.
>
>>For whatever reason glossy RC paper has a glossier finish
>>than I have ever seen on a ferrotyped fiber print but you
>>can come close.
>
> "Ferrotyping" on plate glass can do as well, IME.  I never
> waxed the glass, but my final polish (with Simichrome)
> probably left a minute trace of oil on it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> etienne

   My flat dryer is also either an Arkay or Premier, the
plate has a "brushed" surface. I am not even sure it was
meant to be a ferrotyping surface. Many years ago I bought
some stainless steel plates. These have what I can only
describe as a hazy surface, while much smoother than the
electric dryer they do not produce good surfaces. I was able
to find a couple of decent chromed plates used but one must
be extremely careful not to get those with scratches or
other blemishes. I suspect they have not been made for
decades.

     Glass makes very good surfaces but has the sticking
problem. The old books recommend polishing the glass with
French Chalk AKA talc, which can be obtained from art supply
stores. Undoubtedly other kinds of polish would work as
well. I've found two formulas for wax, one from Haloid
(which later became Xerox) and one from Kodak. Both use
solvents you don't want to have around. Here are the
formulas:

Haloid
Benzine...........125.0 ml
Yellow Bee's Wax..2.7 grams

Dissolve the wax fully and filter any gummy residue out.
    The solvent is referred to as benzole (Benzine) so it
might not be actual benzine but rather "white gasoline"
which is the same as naphtha. Real benzine is nasty stuff.

Kodak
Carbon tetrachloride.............32.0 ml
Paraffin wax                      0.7 grams
(I suppose defining American terms for Europeans is no
longer necessary but in England anyway Paraffin is what we
call here Kerosene and what we call Paraffin is a fine,
nearly clear, petrolium based wax most often used for home
preserving and canning).

Either should be applied to the clean surface in a very
small amount and polished  out.
   I suspect naphtha would work as the solvent for either
formula.
   I also suspect plain paste wax would work as well,
perhaps thinned out a bit with naphtha.

   The explanation I've seen about the need for polish is
that glass or jappaned lacquer has small pores which cause
the paper to stick. The talc is supposed to fill these. I
have no idea if this is true but the procedure can be found
in many places and evidently did work.
   I don't know how window glass is made these days but it
is likely "float glass" similar to plate glass. This glass
is made by floating the molten glass on molten metal
resulting in an extremely smooth surface. I would use fairly
thick glass for ferrotyping simply because its more rigid
and less likely to crack when you squeegee the prints onto
it.
    while most glossies were single weight double weight
paper ferrotypes just fine.
    I suggest using something like an electric room heater
with a blower to accelerate the drying but drying too
quickly will result in cockling and "oyster shell" marks in
the surface from uneven release. Ferrotypes prints should
pop off the plate by themselves, the entire print coming off
at once.
    If anyone tries any of this I would be glad to hear
about the results.

    I guess anything that isn't digital has become
"alternative"  :-)

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA