[alt-photo] Re: sizing options for color gum

Henry Rattle henry.rattle at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 18 17:06:29 GMT 2012

Hi Marek - the experiments I described were done on preshrunk paper. My
prints are quite small (9x7 inch or thereabouts) but until recently I was
using a print frame (Peter Fredrick?) which anchored the paper at one end,
thus maximising the effect of shrinkage (which is about 0.8% - 1.2% in my
tests). I've since started using a (quite crude) 3-pin registering method
which keeps the negative centred, so any mis-register is only at the edges
of the print (and with yellow as the first coat, it isn't noticeable).

I'm sure you are right about the absorption of the PVA after shrinking, and
maybe that would explain the speckled surface I was getting.

Something else to try!

Best wishes

Henry