[alt-photo] removing dust off the negatives, physically

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Thu Jan 19 09:43:58 GMT 2012

I guess the most popular way to get the dust off is to use compressed air. But
this doesn't work depending on the negative carrier. With Doug Fisher's negative
carrier, for example, it can’t be done because the negative will pop out of the
carrier.

What are people’s experience with other methods? I guess using brush is the
obvious... Do people generally find this to be better? Are there any
recommendation on the brush? Would you use watercolor brush or go to B&H and
spend money on the dedicated product? (With or without radioactive polonium.) Do
you use this technique with zerostat gun?

When it comes to cleaning dSLR’s sensors, I find the best way was to use dry
brush. Not as perfect as wet method but a lot faster and a lot lower risk. A lot
of things that can’t be removed by compressed air can be removed easily with a
brush, so I hope this observation also applies to the negatives.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)