[alt-photo] Re: Ultra Long Exposure Reciprocity Failure?

Gordon J. Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 20 04:53:36 GMT 2012

I can't offer any mathematical insights,  however the pinhole camera on
film work I have done usually involves long exposures.

I started doing pinhole work with large format high contrast contact
printing film and processed it with Dave Soemarko's LC1 developer mixed
to minimize contrast in order to get a continuous tone negative.

When used with this developer the film has an effective ASA of 1.  Shots
taken outside on a cloudy day would need an exposure of 1/2 hour.  I
also took a series of indoor photos where the exposure time as in the
range of 6 to 8 hours.  As long as I metered accurately my exposures
were consistent regardless of the exposure time - from 15 minutes in
full sun to 8 hours inside.

Used in this way the film (at the time Kodak CGP) did not seem to
exhibit any reciprocity failure, or perhaps the reciprocity failure did
not vary in the range of exposure I was working with.

My point is that perhaps with extremely long exposures the sensitivity
of this film is consistent, and does not vary significantly past a
certain duration of exposure.

It was possible to get reciprocity compensation data for certain film.
I don't think is was calculated, but done by empirical testing of each
type of film.

Try doing some empirical testing and see if your film shows a
continually increase in reciprocity failure, or if it stops or decreases
after a certain.

Photograph a grey scale in dim conditions and increase the exposure time
and see what effect it has.

I also read that when electronic flashes were first used, some films
suffered from reciprocity failure due to extremely short exposure times.

Hope this helps.

Gord