[alt-photo] Re: Ultra Long Exposure Reciprocity Failure?

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 20 12:46:33 GMT 2012

Francesco,

I've only used very long exposures with pinhole cameras as well.  Of
course, there are published reciprocity charts out there.  (Check Eric
Renner's 'Pinhole Photography: Rediscovering a Historic Technique').
Although his published charts include only pinhole F-stops, I still
think you could glean something from them.  And I do think that the
information that comes with film (or used to?) is fairly accurate-- at
least for me.

But from my experience, I agree with Gord here that some films "don't
seem to vary significantly past a certain duration of exposure."
That's certainly been my experience (and not just with this high
contrast film).

I will also add that the published reciprocity charts I used never
seemed to offer all that much help to me.  I typically base my long
exposures on the type of film, the type of (pinhole) camera I'm using,
and the available light-- basically calculated guesswork, erring on
the side of over-exposure.  (Quite scientific!).  But with the right
development,  I never seemed to have a problem.

Diana