[alt-photo] Michael Wesely's work (was reciprocity failure)

Charles Ryberg cryberg at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 22:32:26 GMT 2012

Folks:  Till this thread I had not known of Wesely's photos.  Google got me
to some very nice images.  I have to say that to me, these can't possibly be
straight one-year-exposure pinholes.  While I'm hardly an expert on pinhole
photos, I get exposures of a few seconds with 400 ISO film.  Even with
enlarging paper a few hours is enough.

We have all seen scans of solar exposures where the sun prints out its path
on paper over a year burning a black, printed out image.  It just seems
impossible that film won't do the same.

Perhaps Wesely had some kind of time-lapse on his pinhole?  Perhaps he used
a very strong filter?????

Anyway, great photos.

As for trying the same thing, I think I'd advise three or four cameras.
Pull one in a week and if the film is nearly solid black you don't have to
continue with the other two.  If the one week image is pale pull the next in
a month.  Etc.

By all means, keep us updated.

Good luck   Charles, Portland Oregon