[alt-photo] Re: Michael Wesely's work (was reciprocity failure)

Earl Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 23:04:21 GMT 2012

This thread makes me want to try solargraphs with film. There is a big
difference between a developed out image on photographic paper and the
printed out image of a solargraph. The coolest part of the paper image
is that it shows colors on black and white material. A scanned
solargraph when inverted in Photoshop almost gives realistic colors. My
guess is that film works the same way, and that a very slow film (like
the lith film mentioned previously) would work better than something
faster. It also has the advantage that you could unload the camera under
a red safelight.

I have not fixed my paper solargraphs, but I have heard that this is
possible. I always scan right away. With film, you would have to wet
process to remove the anti-halation layer before scanning. I think that
I will try two or three cameras at the same time, so I can try scanning
both before and after fixing.

Earl Johnson