[alt-photo] Re: Distilled Water

Don Bryant donsbryant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:37:28 GMT 2012

Just ignore that concern. It's a non issue. If you want to save a little
money over the long long term you can purchase your own water distiller.
Store bought water has been highly filtered and then distilled making it
virtually 100% pure water, way good enough for almost all photographic
chemical mixes, I can't think of very many exceptions.

For example, color developer kits (both commercial and for the darkroom
enthusiasts) are formulated to use filtered tap water. Back in the day, huge
labs that ran Kodachrome lines had more strident purification systems for
mixing their dye baths, typically done in 2000 liter batches including but
not limited to de-ionizers, reverse osmosis filtration, and in some cases
aeration for chelating chemicals like color film/paper bleach.

Luckily none of that is required for the home darkroom or small printing
atelier.

Now if we could just make our own inks for printing digital negatives - no
forget that bad idea.; .