[alt-photo] Re: Distilled Water

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Wed Jan 25 20:34:08 GMT 2012

Don Bryant wrote:

> Just ignore that concern. It's a non issue.

I agree generally speaking, but my experience is that not every times the so
called "distilled water" is as pure as it should be.
Nowadays "distilled water" (especially if bought at the grocery store) is
not distilled any more. My experience is in Italy: here you find "fish glue"
in the front of the package declared as "from pork skin" in the rear (it
perfectly works as well as for cuisine and photography, however!), so I
don't stricly rely to the label.
Distilling water is a very expensive task compared to deionizing it, or to
process it through a inverse osmosys system. This last is now the cheapest
way, but as the main goal is to sell it for ironing or for filling
batteries, its purity does not need to be absolute.
It happened to me to have seen a little opalescence when dissolving silver
nitrate. That is, there were some chlorides in it. But not so many to
interfere with the chemistry of the process (kallitype and Van Dyke).

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group