[alt-photo] Re: Distilled Water

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Wed Jan 25 20:08:35 GMT 2012

Bruce wrote:

>Where do you get distilled water? I presume it is not from the grocery store.

As long as it is marked "distilled water," bottles from the grocery
store should be OK.  You may want to boil it before use (in a glass
container) to outgas the dissolved gases (primarily O2 and CO2).  The
only objection I see to grocery store DW is the cost, which prompts
people to use it only for what they consider "critical" solutions
(and to use tap water for the rest).

I long ago bought a number of countertop water stills, and make my
own.  Sears used to sell them for ~$50 new.  I bought my first one
new, then collected ten more used from thrift shops and garage sales
(some were only $1-$5).  Where I live, the cost of electricity to
produce a gallon of DW is ~$0.25 -- more than $1.00 less than grocery
store DW.  My stills paid for themselves very, very quickly.

Here is what the ones I have look like:

http://www.sears.com/search=water%20distiller

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Distiller-Countertop-Enamel-Collection/dp/B00026F9F8

http://waterdistiller.com/

There are lots of them on ebay and craigslist.  You can get 4 gallons
a day from one, if you are diligent about refilling and restarting it
soon after it finishes.

I use DW for ALL photo solutions, other chemistry uses, drinking
water, and coffee/tea.  I get ahead on production and store it in
three, 10-gallon glass carbouys so I never feel I have to scrimp on
its use.  If it sits a while before I use it for photo or chemistry
uses, I boil it to degas.

Best regards,

etienne