[alt-photo] Re: Distilled Water

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Thu Jan 26 07:55:28 GMT 2012

> I have a dehumidifer that runs for about three months and in July and
> August I acquire my distilled water.  I gather about 15 litres per week at
> that time. I run the exit hose from the dehumidifer to a small funnel
> having a cotton plug to catch dust from the water and air, and then into a
> large water jug. I usually collect about 30 litres which does me for the
> year.  Best of all , it costs nothing extra.

 From 1985 and until 2005, part of my job was to gather data on wet
deposition of pollutants, managing a network of 20-40 samplers in Italy from
0 to 2200 m asl. In the same context, I also sampled fog in the Po Valley
and winter snow in two glaciers above 3000 m.
The chemical analysis has always shown various amounts of (mostly) calcium,
ammonium, sulfate, nitrate and chloride, and electrical conductivity was in
the range 10-250 µS/cm. Only the conductivity of the snow at 3000 m was near
5 µS/cm.
So, I think that your condensate is far from being comparable to distilled
water.

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group