[alt-photo] Re: casein history

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Jul 10 16:03:56 GMT 2012

Has anyone tried this formula, the ferric/casein one? It is the Gateau patent. Kees?

I notice no mention of hydrogen peroxide in the developing bath in this.

My words, below, not a quote of the patent but refers to a discussion in the BJP.

The formula consisted of 5g casein in 75ml water + 2ml ammonia. Into this is added 2.5g ferric ammonium citrate and pigment. The print is exposed as normal. The paper is described as more sensitive with better keeping properties. Its drawback was the need for chemicals in the development water (ammonia, sodium carbonate, potassium oxalate), unlike regular carbon tissue.

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com