[alt-photo] Creating Film Negative by Enlarging a Film/ Slide Positive

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 16:11:06 GMT 2012

I'm interested in enlarging positive film (any slide/ chrome film or B&W
reversal processed film) onto a larger piece of traditional B&W negative
film (not lith) for the purpose of producing enlarged negatives suitable
for alt-process and Azo. I know people do this but I've had a difficult
time finding a solid explanation and instructions for how to go about it
since it is far more common to scan these days which I am very aware of but
not interested in with this particular case.

Basically, can I expose/ enlarge slide (positive) film onto regular B&W
negative film and achieve an enlarged negative? Is the higher contrast of
slide film helpful in this situation or a hinderance? Would it be better to
contact print B&W negative film (much lower contrast) onto another piece of
B&W neg film to produce a positive, develop to the same contrast as the
original, and then enlarge that lower contrast film-interpositive onto a
larger sheet of B&W neg film to achieve the enlarged negative?

I'm interested in this specific process of enlarging film positives to
larger negatives, not the alternatives so lets please try to stay on topic
and not go astray with conversations of digital negatives, duplicating
film, etc., although if reversal processing your original B&W neg to
positive plays a role that might be worth explaining.

Thank you!!

-Francesco Fragomeni
www.francescofragomeni.com