[alt-photo] Re: PT/PD: TIME BETWEEN COATING AND PRINTING

EJ Photo ejnphoto at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 7 17:56:58 GMT 2012

Bob, Since I don't coat with the intention of printing the next day, I can't
say have I seen changes, because for those few times I forgot that last
piece of coated paper, or just ran out of gas. It has been so few and far
between that I couldn't say what they where.

If you were to do so, I'd keep it as dry as I could with as little heat as
possible, and then rehumidify to your standard humidity and allow about 45
minutes for that to happen. I have interrupted my day and left the paper in
the drying box while I went to lunch; no change.

If one doesn't use enough PT and only PD (95%) I'd not expect to see a
change in anything IF the workflow was really working. i.e. when you dried
it got dry. When you humidified to 60% +/-5% that it was really at that
level in your paper.   Why, PT is faster dryer, and it sounds like many
don't really track how dry, dry is.

I do notice that a premixed coating solution does give different results, so
I would not be too surprised to see a difference in a mixed solution that
sat for a day change a little.

Heat, humidity, and UV will change it. Eliminate all three and you might not
see drastic changes.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9