[alt-photo] Re: PT/PD: TIME BETWEEN COATING AND PRINTING

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Sat Jun 9 13:18:45 GMT 2012

DEAR DON,
	I would not presume to know the best way but "my way" (as old Blue
Eyes used to say) is to boil water in a Visions glass pan on my electric
heater in the darkroom with a "spatter screen" over it.  I hold the paper
high enough above it so that the steam feels just warm or even cool on my
fingers.  If too close to the pot the live steam would burn your fingers and
be too hot for the coating.  I assume this is a safe way to know that I am
not overheating the paper.  I move the paper around to give an even coating
of steam for at least a few mins.  Obviously larger paper takes longer to
cover the greater surface area.  One tip is to tilt the paper so the steam
runs up it from the edge toward the middle and opposite side.  Another tip
it to turn off the darkroom A/C (if you have one) during this process.  I
then let the paper sit a few minutes to "stabilize" as it says in all the
books in the process.  If I had the space I would build one of those
humidifying boxes that you will certainly hear about from others who reply
to your e-mail.
		CHEERS!
			BOB