[alt-photo] Re: PT/PD: TIME BETWEEN COATING AND PRINTING

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 9 13:23:14 GMT 2012

Don,

For me, humidifying the paper seems to be dependent on the paper I use.  Years ago, back when Ruscombe Mills Buxton paper was (relatively) affordable, there was absolutely no  need to humidify that paper.  It was/is really an incredible paper to use for any process.  Unfortunately, it's also now totally unaffordable.

Anyway . . . I have a small humidifier, and I would just hold the paper I was going to coat, over the steam of the humidifier for a bit, both sides exposed to the steam, and then coat.  I put the paper in the dark to dry, but pretty much coated it as soon as it was dry enough not to damage the negative.   I didn't much see the need to re-humidify after drying and before printing.  But if I did, I would have done it in much the same way-- far enough from the steam not get the paper actually wet, obviously.   In the studio I have now, though, the environment has a lot more humidity, because I don't have to do any of that anymore.  And, again, for me, that humidification process  really depends on the paper I'm using, as well as the process.

Diana