[alt-photo] Re: casein

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Wed Jun 13 19:11:49 GMT 2012

Hi Alberto,
I have all of the formulas and their different percentages of casein because you are right, it is all over the place I have charted it out but not computed absolute thickest to absolute thinnest, though Schramm comes the closest to thickest.

I can't believe I did this but, I came across your notes referencing 23% casein, so to test this I took the casein from 1 cup of powdered milk (3T dry) and just finished drying the casein curd from skim milk to weigh it. Dried it is about 9 grams so I am going to assume that when looking at the nutrition label on milk or cheese, the protein content (the casein part of milk or cheese) is an accurate measure of the casein resulting in the wet mix. Does this make sense?

I am currently seeing how little ammonia I can use to liquify 113g feta cheese and I bet you will find that in Italy.

I am currently working with cottage cheese in red, yellow, blue, to determine amounts. Some of Enos' formulas are too liquidy for my tastes. I am finding that the cottage cheese diluted 120ml to 8 oz feels almost like a 14 baume gum, and mixed equally with pot di 10% and 1/4 teaspoon dry pigment, has a nice coating feel, not too thin, not too thick and grabby.

You will find that the ammonium caseinate is water soluble, very easy to use. Unfortunately you have to buy it by the 55lb bag minimum! Sodium caseinate, the more commonly available form, needs a little alkali to mix as easily.

More later when I have more to share.

Chris

christinaZanderson.com