[alt-photo] Re: casein

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Thu Jun 14 15:34:03 GMT 2012

> Casein should be about 80% of the total protein content, hence perhaps you did not completely dried your casein, or the initial weight of powdered milk was more than 30 g, or both.

Alberto,
It's kind of impossible to dry it to a powder because it gets like this hard, elastic, chewy curd so I am sure there is water left in there.

In any case, I abandoned the idea of trying to compare wet curd to casein powder and just have compared wet curd to wet curd and powder to powder. So here is the range of formulas I have for both:

Wet curd is x+20 to x+225 where X is the amount of curd in 1 cup of skim milk. If your 80% figure is correct, then x equals 7g.
Caseinate powder formulas range from 1% to 28%!
I have notes that Sam says he and Enos, who worked together in the late 70s to early 80s just before Enos died, settled on about a 9%.
> Unless you can convince Freestyle, B&S, or Formulary to stock it.
> Just a thought.
> Sam

Sam,
This is a good idea... It isn't very expensive, about $400.
But of all the formulas I've tried, cottage cheese and ammonia is really easy, as is buying it readymade from Kremer.
Chris