[alt-photo] Re: casein

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Fri Jun 15 12:32:59 GMT 2012

Chris,

> I have notes that Sam says he and Enos, who worked together in the late 70s to early 80s just before Enos died, settled on about a 9%.

In http://www.etheisen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9 is
written:
Mix 1/4 cup non fat powered milk with 8 oz. hot water. Mix 3 cc Glacial
Acetic Acid with 7 cc water. Add to the milk mixture. A curd will form
immediately. Separate the curd from the whey using a fine strainer or a
piece of fine mesh and gently wash the curd under cool water until the acid
smell goes away. This should take five minuets. Put the washed curd in a
beaker and add 75 cc of household Ammonia.

and my calculations are:
1/4 cup = 2 fl oz = 58 cc
with my powdered milk, 58 cc are about 17 g.
17 g * 23% = 3.9 g pure casein. This will dissolve in 75 cc of ammonia: not
more than 3.9/75 = 5.2%, but I bet it is about 4% taking into account the
additional water of the wet casein plus the volume of the dry caseine, which
contributes to the total volume (I am writing in term of % w/v).

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group