[alt-photo] Re: casein

Evan J Hughes evan at evanhughes.org
Tue Jun 19 18:05:24 GMT 2012

Dear Chris,

     Out of interest after your previous post, I made some carbon tissue
that included casein.  I dissolved cottage cheese in ammonia:

50g of unstrained cheese
10g of 10% ammonia solution

This dissolved nicely, but was rather cloudy (possibly due as you have
mentioned to including the whey).  I then made my normal glop recipe of

5g gelatine (food grade)
45g water
5g sugar
1g soap
3g soot (wet, has been washed and ball-milled)

I then added the two mixtures together and poured into 2 8"x10"
tissues.  The pouring went just as well as normal, however it took
really long for the gelatine in the tissue to gel and allow me to hang
it to dry.  My eyes were also watering from the ammonia (but my sinuses
are now clear).

I printed the tissues using a range of dichromate strengths and times;
the one consistent feature is that none of the tests adhered to the
watercolour paper and they all came away in trying to remove the backing
tissue and the images just floated away in development.   The glop
seemed to be melting ok, it just did not want to stick.

I may have another go but with a much lower concentration of casein.

       Best regards,

              Evan
----
http://concretebanana.co.uk