[alt-photo] Re: casein

Peter Blackburn blackburnap at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 12:23:42 GMT 2012

 To all interested casein printers: For what it's worth, there is a section entitled, "Milk Prints" in the backs of Langford's "Darkroom Handbook" which describes a version of the casein process. It was that chapter which gave to me my first taste of casein printing back around 1988. I was not able, however, to make very good images with that recipe. My opinion is if THAT was the approach to casein printing (as scarce as it seems casein was in the old days), no wonder gum was preferred. Also, on page 48(?) in the Luis Nadeau book, "Gum Bichromate and Other Direct Carbon Processes" is a short description of making a batch of casein which is not too far off from how I make my own. Finally, there is a casein section in "Alternative Photographic Processes" by Randall Webb and Martin Reed. The brief information found there pretty much follows the Langford material. Hope that helps. It does provide for interesting reading.

Peter J. Blackburn