[alt-photo] Re: Development By Inspection Methods

Ken Sinclair photo1 at telusplanet.net
Thu Mar 8 05:13:01 GMT 2012

Francesco,

I used it mostly on  Plus-X and the then equivalent of FP4... but as
I mentioned..
in my experience with Pinacryptol Green pre-bath I am still not
convinced it was
worth the effort... and the cost

A few years ago I changed the majority of my development  to BTZS
tubes for both
4x5 and 8x10 sheet film... and Pyrocat HD... (a much less expensive
alternative to the
selection of developers that were common in my darkroom) which allows
for both
silver gelatin and non-silver prints. My 120 and 35 mm films are
processed on Hewes
SS reel in the Kindermann tanks.

As I mentioned in my last response, I will occasionally feel the need
to have a quick peek
when tray developing the odd one or two sheet films and will switch
the green light on...
but for only a few seconds after (AT LEAST) half  way through the
intended time. A friend
used to look at the green light 'through' the negative but I am
usually concerned about
inducing any kind of fog but while you may find that 'easier' than
viewing the base side
and judging from that. It may help if you take an 'older' duplicate
negative and put it in either
water or a developer to give you an idea of what a properly developed
negative 'looks like'
by either transmitted or reflected off-the-base green light.

The alternative, of course, is to make duplicate exposures and
process one at a time in your
preferred developer of choice.

Have fun

Ken