[alt-photo] Re: Development By Inspection Methods

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 8 07:21:53 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francesco Fragomeni" <fdfragomeni at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:47 PM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Development By Inspection Methods

> Thanks Ken,
>
> I've found a few things written about Pinacryptol Yellow
> and Pinacryptol
> Green that I had not previously seen. They echo your
> experience with the
> desensitizer reducing the speed of the film significantly.
> I've also found
> reports that it may not work or be effective with modern
> faster films. I
> was hoping that these desensitizers would be more useful
> then they
> apparently are and I suppose that explains why they are
> nearly impossible
> to get a hold of these days. If there was anything magical
> about them
> they'd probably be in use today.
>
> I'm very interested in what I'll be able to do with the
> green safelight
> technique (minus the desensitizer). I use 100 and 400
> speed films. My only
> concern is whether or not 400 ISO film will be
> dramatically more apt to fog
> using the technique. I understand that the green safelight
> is only on for a
> few seconds at a time and kept at a safe distance and I
> get that the film
> desensitizes as it develops but I' still concerned that
> faster film will
> fog. Anyone have any experience developing 400 ISO film
> this way? Are there
> any problems with it?
>
> -Francesco

    FWIW, the theory behind using the green safelight is
that its peaked at the color the eye is most sensitive to
when dark adapted. As a result it can be dimmer than light
of another color for the same visual brightness.  Also,
until recently, panchromatic films had a dip in the
sensitivity in the green. Have a look at the published
spectral sensitivity curves for film to see what I mean. Its
slight but there.  More modern pan films like T-Max and
other tabular grain films tend to have more uniform
sensitivity.  Also, most developers act as desensitizers so
that after half the developing time the film has lost much
of its sensitivity and so the light is less likely to cause
fogging. Nonetheless, the green safelight can be used for
only a few seconds. I've found that judging densities is
difficult especially since the undeveloped halide results in
the film looking quite different from the way it does after
fixing.
    I think there are circumstances where development by
inspection may be necessary but film is very uniform so that
development by time and temperature can result in very
predictable results provided some care is used so I think
development by inspection should be reserved for those times
where there is something unusual that makes it necessary.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com