[alt-photo] Re: Development By Inspection Methods

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 18:49:52 GMT 2012

Ken has asked that I expand a bit on DBI via green light advise I've
received.

I had dinner with Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee two days ago and we
discussed the topic a bit. The green safelight method is their preferred
method. We discussed my issue with 400 speed film gaining extra density in
the film base and it was their opinion that it actually should make a
difference that there shouldn't be any issue printing through it. They are
using 20 year olf Super XX film and they get film base densities in the
range of 0.5 (due to age) and trust me when I say that this is having
absolutely no negative effect on the quality of their prints.

Michael's preference is to focus on the base side of the film while Paula
looks at both the emulsion side and the base. The key is simply to
recognize what proper density looks like primarily through the base side.
There really isn't much instruction beyond what Michael wrote about in his
well read article on DBI. The green light is left on only for a moment and
a judgement is made to either end development or continue it.

I will probably give it a try but I'm going to first try printing the negs
with the extra film base density to see how they print and if all is good
then I'll stick with my IR method.

-Francesco