[alt-photo] Re: Coating Silver Chloride Paper - Similar to AZO?

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Sat Mar 10 19:49:16 GMT 2012

Francesco wrote:

>what is involved with making and coating one's one silver
>chloride paper.   *   *   *
>Also, I've read that making a silver chloride emulsion is
>actually quite simple (completely relative) and that people have
>successfully replicated AZO-like emulsions on their own. Can
>anyone speak to this?

I have extensive experience (for an amateur) making and coating S-G
emulsions for both in-camera and darkroom-speed materials.  Chloride
paper emulsion is relatively easy, as you mentioned -- but there are
many degrees of "relative," and making any S-G emulsion ranks very
near the top (just under the relatively easiest DIY
neurosurgery).  You need to control temperature to 0.1 C (and not
just static, but the profile of ramping temperature over time), time
to seconds, and flow rates to very tight tolerances to get anything
resembling repeatable results.  Also, no matter how good your
emulsion is, you will never get prints that look like Azo unless you
make a coating machine capable of laying down a very even layer of
emulsion, and use it in a dust-free clean room.  You will also need a
source of baryta paper, or you will need to make your own.

The best start I know for someone interested in beginning to make and
coat S-G emulsions is the manual James Browning wrote about making
Dye Transfer Matrix Film.  Of course, it covers many things peculiar
to that process as well as the basics (emulsion making and
coating).  One version is
here:  <http://www.dyetransfer.org/images/DyeTran.pdf>.

If you want an alt process that gives very sharp resolution like
commercial S-G papers, with the long-scale beauty of Azo or
printing-out paper, but does not require two rooms dedicated to
making the materials, try Pt or carbon.  Both can be printed on
baryta paper for a very bright, high resolution result.  I would
suggest monochrome Dye Transfer, which is a breathtakingly beautiful
process, but for that you would need to make the Matrix Film....

Best regards,

etienne