[alt-photo] Re: gum workshop, now casein

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 30 21:25:19 GMT 2012

Hey Loris,

Yes-- I remember Judy talking about that, and-- though I think Judy
was being modest at the time-- she also said that Sookang was really
good at gum printing (in her class)-- from the get-go, and that she
didn't really teach her anything.  Not sure I believe that;
nevertheless, the prints I saw were stunning, really, and so so
clean-- just pristine.  I have no idea how that's achieved, either,
but I would sure like to know.

Graininess may be in the eye of the beholder, but- again- they did not
look that way to me at all.  I was impressed with the background she
uses on many of them-- that sort of deep gray background-- which may
give the look of grain (?) but it just looks slightly textured to me--
sort of in a very fine grain way, I guess.  The images themselves, on
top of those interesting monochromatic backgrounds, looked very smooth
to me.

Diana