[alt-photo] Re: Collodio-Chloride and Collodion-Based Silver-Chloride Processes: Strontium-Chloride vs Sodium Chloride?

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:07:49 GMT 2012

Ryuji,

Thanks for your thoughts. You're words are right in line with my
assumptions. I'm no chemist but I have a basic understanding of what occurs
when making these types of emulsions and while various different salts may
have cause minor differences, I would assume that they are just that,
minor. From my understanding, when an emulsion of this type is sensitized
the NaCL and AgNO3 molecules exchange to produce silver-chloride (AgCl, the
sensitive agent) and a non-sensitive byproduct that is typically discarded
in the wash (sodium-nitrate, NaNO3). The only thing I can think of is that
the Strontium-Chloride exchanges with Silver-Nitrate to produce
Strontium-Nitrate which may lend itself to some specific color, perhaps a
more prominent red that makes toning changes more evident. This is in line
will what I've read, that Strontium lent a color that made toning easier to
see. I'm still not sure about the alcohol solubility thing.

-Francesco