[alt-photo] Re: Anti-reflective glaze

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 28 19:19:10 GMT 2012

Thanks for that explanation, Etienne.  I was mostly making the case that "it makes no sense" to use museum glass--  if your pieces are in those (relatively) larger frame sizes.  To recoup your costs, you'd have to price your pieces accordingly, and I'm not sure most people would "get" the difference in cost (and how much better the print looks), unless they view a side-by-side comparison (as Clay had done).

Still -- as much as I love the museum glass-- let's face it-- glass is glass, and it actually makes no sense to me that it would cost that much to make a piece of great looking UV protected non-glare glass.   As I mentioned before, someone who works at a museum told me that it doesn't actually cost that much to make -- but that there is a patent-- hence, the high cost.   Not sure if that's the really the case or not.

As an aside, the museum glass itself is not totally non-glare.  Depending on where you hang it, you will still get some glare.  Obviously, it's a vast improvement over regular glass-- but still not perfect.  It's also a pain to work with and clean and touch (which you can't really do).  I like the results, but I do think the cost is ludicrously high.  Again, the better option is to show it with no glass if you can- or start printing on fabric or some other substrate that needs no glass.

-Diana