[alt-photo] Re: printing on silk

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:17:03 GMT 2012

Thanks to everybody that chimed in and for little historical pointers. It seems that my observations of not being able to get good images on silk with palladium are well supported by others. It must have benn a print on cotton that I have seen before. On the other hand cyanotype seems to like silk and I have been able to make nice prints on a number of silk fabrics. I do intend to hang them from a dowel, which I thought was my great idea for this project, but in fact was done before. Thanks for reminding me about Galina's work. I was very fascinated by her prints back then and somehow completely forgot about it.
One thing that I discovered when printing on fabric is that you have to soak it with chemistry. Easy to do with cyanotype, which is not very expensive. I was for a sticker shock when I saw how much palladiumm solution is required to soak the fabric.

Marek