[alt-photo] Re: Chemical Development for Printing Out Processes

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Sat Sep 8 17:27:01 GMT 2012

In order for the developer to discriminate exposed AgX crystals from unexposed
ones, the crystals in the emulsion must be exceptionally "clean" meaning free of
defects that act as fog center. It goes without saying that the crystals must
not be exposed to any light that can create latent image center, as well. These
are very important factors when making silver gelatin emulsions for developing
process. Printing out process emulsions are full of crystalline defects and when
electrons are injected through the developer they are going to develop with
ease, with or without intense exposure required to produce print out images. The
result is dense fog.

Old physical developers can act in somewhat different way, by adjusting the
reduction potential of the developer to a level that's barely enough to reduce
silver ion from the solution on bulk metallic silver surface (c.f. silver
intensifier). That's why I suggested to experiment with developer exhausted by
actual developed out print processing, that is, lower developer concentration,
lower pH, and some reducible silver complex ion in the solution. Even then, it
will be a somewhat tricky task because the window of reduction potential that
does not cause massive fog but still augment the image development will be
fairly narrow.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"No matter how much you study or improve vacuum tubes, you will not arrive at a