[alt-photo] Re: Chemical Development for Printing Out Processes

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 8 04:28:39 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francesco Fragomeni" <fdfragomeni at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 9:12 PM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Chemical Development for Printing
Out Processes

> Ryuji,
>
> Thanks for the reply. So your thought is that the higher
> ph and potency of
> a modern developer (unused) would cause fog in a POP
> emulsion. Interesting
> and I hadn't considered that but it makes sense as a
> possibility.
>
> By the way, I'm not particularly interested in recreating
> the results of
> historic literature or figuring out what works best for
> the purpose, hence
> the question about using modern developers with POP
> emulsions. Its a
> mismatch intentionally. My interest is simply in seeing
> what the results
> might be simply for the sake of curiosity.
>
> Has anyone actually tried this who can confirm Ryuji's fog
> hypothesis? Or,
> do any of you Albumen practitioners have an extra test
> strip and some
> Amidol or other print developer sitting around that you
> can test with next
> time you print? I'm still setting up my space otherwise
> I'd try it.
>
> Thanks for contributing Ryuji and anyone else who chimes
> in.
>
> -Francesco

     Perhaps Ryuji can explain the differences in developing
out and printing out coatings.  I have only a little
understanding of this but I believe POP coatings do not
allow the developer to discriminate between exposed and
unexposed silver crystals, at least not very much.
     The usual process for POP whether gelatin-silver or
salt or albumin is to allow light generated silver to form
and then intensify it using a suitable toner.  The unused
silver halide is removed either co-incident with the toning
or afterward.  Some toners are not suitable because they
will tone all the silver regardless of whether it in
metallic form or not. Here again, I am not sure I understand
why a gold toner, for instance, will tone an unfixed POP
print while something like a sulfiding toner will simply
turn the whole thing to silver sulfide.  Fixing before
toning tends to remove the image silver along with the
non-metalic silver, perhaps because it is so fine.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
dickburk at ix.netcom.com