[alt-photo] Woodburytype Process - Modern Practitioners? - Resin/ Plate Material Preferences?

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 23:34:03 GMT 2012

Hi all,

I've been looking at a lot of Woodburytype prints lately and it's sparked
an interest. I've been reading a bit in the list archives from when this
has come up in the past and figured that maybe it's due for a revisit.
Here's one of the past threads to piggyback on:
http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-process/1999/dec99/0078.html

I'm particularly interested in the use of resins and other alternative
materials for making the plates. I've heard of people using UV curing
resins, mixable resins, plasters, epoxies, etc, to make the plates as an
alternative to the historic lead plate method. The thread I linked to above
touches on some of the problems encountered with resins i.e. production of
heat that damages the gelatin relief, and shrinkage during resin curing.
I'm wondering if anyone is currently practicing this and has an idea of
some resins that don't produce much if any heat and which don't shrink
during curing?

Also, I'm curious about how people approach the dichromated gelatin
exposure. Is there an overall average exposure time? From my understanding,
this is basically a straight line process much like Carbon so how does this
relate to determining ideal negatives and how does it relate to the
exposure of the dichromated gelatin and the resulting relief?

Best,
Francesco Fragomeni