[alt-photo] Re: Photo Booth Info

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 11 19:11:39 GMT 2012

     I think the sepia color is from development in a
sulphide bath.  Reversal paper or film can have a second or
reversal development in a bath similar to the re-developer
of a sepia toner.  The advantage of this is that the
redeveloped images do not need to be fixed again since all
halide remaining in the emulsion is converted to silver
sulphide and is stable.
     Its possible that more than one process was used.
There are direct-reversal materials that use pre-fogged
emulsion.  As you know a very heavy overexposure will drive
most emulsions into a reversal zone.  It is possible to make
an emulsion where all exposure results in such reversal.  I
no longer remember if a special process is necessary to
develop it but I believe one advantage was a simpler process
than normal reversal.  Kodak and others made such materials
for producing duplicate negatives directly from an original
thus saving a generation.  The conditions in a photo-booth
would have been favorable since there would have been good
control and consistency of the exposure.
     POP is a printing method requiring a negative.  The
familiar POP paper works by having an emulsion with enough
excess silver in it to produce photolytic silver under the
influence of very strong light. If not given further
processing the image is not permanent since further exposure
to light will eventually fog the entire surface. This
property accounts for the use of POP for approval proofs. I
was told (don't know if its true) that Kodak put something
in their POP to insure it would fog over time even if in the
dark.  Certainly overage Kodak POP is always completely
fogged even if in un-opened packages.
     The image can not be fixed with a normal fixer since it
is composed of extremely fine silver particles which have
little resistance to bleaching by the usual hypo.  The usual
process is to tone the silver with gold or platinum and then
fix it. The toner and fixer can be combined in one bath. The
toner also changes the image color from a sort of maroon to
neutral or blue-black. I think platinum can also produce a
sort of brown-black and intensifies the print.  Salt prints
and POP made with albumin in place of gelatin work similarly
but are nearly always processed in a toner and fixer.
     I suspect one of the older books on photographic
methods has something definite on the process used in
photobooths.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles