[alt-photo] Photo Booth Info

Jack Fulton jefulton1 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 16:07:23 GMT 2012

From Ryuji
> I have a friend (also a neighbor and cinematographer) who tells me a story of a
> photobooth setup producing what looks like a b&w contact print of a strip of 4
> pictures taken on film in 2.5 minutes. This must be from 60s or 70s. Does anyone
> have information about how these devices were generally  designed, in terms of
> optics, lighting, film stock, processing, etc? I'm not sure if this is exposed on direct
> positive paper stock directly with intense flash, or is it a negative-positive process.
> If latter, it'd take 2.5 min just to develop pictorial film in D-19 or DK-50 or whatever.
> Does this use  an instant film stock?

Reply by Richard Knoppow
    I am pretty sure these used direct-positive paper and  probably worked about like
the street photographers cameras. The ones I remember from when I was a kid
delivered sepia images which may be a clue as to the process.  They were  found in
many places.

Like Richard, I'm positive it is direct-positive paper. There is one in the Marc Jacobs
store on Melrose in Los Angeles and somewhere around here the photos are still okay
after a couple of years.
I wouldn't be surprised if the sepia ones Richards mentions were on POP for that is how
pro photographers would deliver 'proofs' to families in the 40's and 50's