[Alt-photo] Re: Albumen Gold Toning

francis schanberger frangst at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 01:12:25 UTC 2013

I just realized I have an albumen book somewhere but for the moment ....

this is for toning vandyke brown so use at your discretion.

I usually work with a 1% solution of each before making the work solution
when I am toning with ammonium thiocyanate and am fairly certain I use
thiourea at the same dilution before making a working strength solution.

I just realized my grasp of dilutions has atrophied since inorganic chem in
college but I generally mix about 50 cc of each stock in tap water to make
500 cc of working strength. The two working strength solutions get mixed
together to tone about three 18" x 23" vandyke browns. Usually by the third
print toning times have gotten very long (ten minutes).

At the risk of steering you wrong (Albumen is a different albeit related
beast), I would suggest working with the gold chloride at its current
dilution and dilute the ammonium thiocyanate to 0.2%. Then mix equal
proportions together for toning.

You should see a flash of red as you mix the two together before it settles
down to form a colorless solution.

Here's a reference

*http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/GTV/gtv.html*
*
*
*the toning section is about 4/5 of the page down.*
*
*
*-francis
*