[Alt-photo] Re: DAS

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Wed Apr 17 08:45:04 UTC 2013

I have to test this more systematicly, but this is what I have found now.

Single transfer carbon transfered on:

- RC fixed out photopaper - little or no stain
- Fixed out baryta paper - some stain also in the parts were the tissue was covered by the negatives safe edge.
- Gelatin coated, glutaraldehyde hardened water color paper: very visible stain, difficult to clear.

Double transfer carbon on (albumen cioated) polyester or polycarbonate

- no visible stain, maybe spectral measuring should reveal some I think

DAS caseïn on:

- gelatin/glutaraldehyde sized watercolor paper - some stain bulding up at consecutive layers
- PVA sized paper - I have the impression staining is less on these but I have to test more to be sure

Clearing
=======

The ultrastable clearing bath recipe is:

Stock Clearing Bath A:
Water (at 110 F) 930 ml
Potassium Permanganate 6 g
Sodium Chloride (Table Salt) 14 g

Stock Clearing Bath B:
Water (at 110 F) 940 ml
Sodium (Meta)Bisulfite 30 g
Sodium Sulfite 30 g

To make working solutions of A and B, dilute each in cold water at 1:20. Prints are immersed in Clearing Bath A for
1 minute, followed by a brief cold water rinse and then placed in Clearing Bath B for an additional minute. After a final rinse, the
print is dried and ready for finishing.
Quote from Charles Berger in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1182350

Kees