[Alt-photo] Re: DAS

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Thu Apr 18 09:48:20 UTC 2013

Thanks Charles,

I recently visited a large exhibition of Nickolas Muray's photos,
there were many (gorgeous!) color carbro prints there, and even if
they had at least 3 layers, the slight relief wasn't as strong as (not
even near to) many other high relief single layer monochrome carbons
I've seen before. Sandy King's prints for instance, I know Vaughn
Hutchins makes carbons with considerable relief too. And to my
knowing, both make relatively lightly pigmented / thick tissues...

I'm a little bit confused right now? OTOH, thinking over, your remark
would be for dry tissue as in the case with DAS; with dichromates, one
would be exposing a wet / swelled tissue, therefore the depth of
hardening of at time of the exposure may be bigger than the 1mil
figure you mentioned...

Regards,
Loris.

(Irrelevant note / question about Nick Muray's prints: Some of
Nickolas Muray's color carbro prints were showing an interesting
halftone pattern. AFAIK, he was using a special camera with a prism
for making 3 negatives in one shot and the prints I've seen were
definitely not reproductions but the real stuff; signed w/ visible
relief... Why halftone screen? Any thoughts?)