[Alt-photo] Re: DAS

sanking at clemson.edu sanking at clemson.edu
Thu Apr 18 20:39:28 UTC 2013

All things being equal there is no doubt but that a thicker tissue is
capable of giving a much stronger relief effect than a thinner tissue,
though there is a diminishing point of return.

Bear in mind that how deeply the exposing light can penetrate into a
carbon tissue
depends both on pigment loading and the actinic filter of the dichromate
sensitizing
agent (which is determined by the concentration). A thick tissue with very
high
pigment loading will give a thin carbon relief that will have no relief.
So to
optimize final relief it is necessary to balance the thickness of the
gelatin layer
and pigment loading so that when the sensitized tissue is exposed the
light is able
to penetrate nearly all of the way to the substrate. Needless to say, the
contrast
of the exposing negative must also be carefully matched to the strength of
the
sensitizer.

In practice my monochrome carbon tissue has a wet coating height of .9mm,
which on
dry down measured about .14mm. When this tissue is sensitized with dichromate
solution of the appropriate strength, and then exposed with a negative of
the right
contrast range, the exposing light penetrates virtually all the way the
substrate.
You can tell this on warm water development because there is virtually no
soluble
pigment remaining on the substrate when it is stripped from the print.

It is possible to make very thin carbon tissue that is so heavily
pigmented that it
is not capable of giving any appearance of relief.

Sandy