[Alt-photo] Re: DAS

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Fri Apr 19 11:21:57 UTC 2013

Hi Sandy,

These remarks are exactly what I observed. I think the yellowing of the DAS/dichromate/ferric-ammonium citrate plays together with the pigment concentration an important role in relief height. In my observation the relief of a DAS sensitized tissue is lower, when compared with a dichromate sensitized tissue, both with the same wet height, pigment concentration,  optimized sensitizer concentrations and printed with the same negative.

Im my testing with fairly thick 1 mm wet height tissue and a process optimized negative, relief is highest with ferric carbon, then 2 % dichromate sensitized carbon, and lowest with DAS sensitized carbon. I think the real advantage in using DAS apart from the (very important!) low toxicity, lies in fullcolor and layered monochrome work and the enourmous advantage of presensitization.

Kees