[Alt-photo] Re: try one

raven erebus ravene at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 22:08:07 UTC 2013

I had actually forgotten I made a tutorial...

http://trollop.com/etching/etching.html
It has pictures of my images and the resulting etch.

I got the image close to what I wanted by thresholding in photoshop
and then played around with the various printer settings until it
printed nicely. I wanted to avoid that news paper look.

The laser printer doesn't exactly print a half tone (round dots). It
prints black or nothing. In otherwords it doesn't print gray scale. If
you don't threshold your image you'll see spotty-ness that isn't
exactly a halftone. The settings for the printer changes the handling
of that computation.  So I just printed with each setting and used the
results I liked best. I haven't seen banding. That sounds like it
might be specific to your printer?

My laser printer is vintage 1995. If I had to guess... that's probably
the key factor in making this work.

I just used regular laser printer paper which is quite glossy.  And
after a soak came right off with a little gentle rubbing.

With transparencies there's gum Arabic to deal with. I didn't try
it... maybe heat doesn't melt it? Also I figured plastic plus iron
would be bad news.

I set the iron to the very hottest setting which on my iron was cotton.

There's a product I was going to try called laser tran that is
supposed to work great for this but I haven't tried it.
http://lazertran.com/

After I transferred I did an aquatint using an airbrush. (I don't have
access to one so I haven't actually done this in a couple years)

best,
Raven