[Alt-photo] Re: Stochastic screening in Gum

Christina Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 16:25:22 UTC 2013

Dear Peter,
I have done this for the reason of trying to approximate an autochrome. Gum surprisingly prints great detail so if you are trying to grain up a print, it works. I have also done gum printing with a bitmap negative with the bitmap quite coarse, and also with adding noise to the channels individually. What i notice is that the contrast does go down and I think you therefore could get by without curving the gum negative to be lower contrast. It produces a very soft, very minute grainy look. It was something I thought intriguing enough to explore but never got back to it. What I did was print the image regularly and then also with grain so I could see the comparison side by side. I didn't see an advantage to it technique-wise, only the way it looked--minute grain. But I find that minute grain is also part of casein's charm. It's not the grain you get when a gum print goes awry, but much smaller and deliberate.
It also made me realize that a regular bitmap negative is just fine for gum whereas it might not be good for other one-step processes like platinum or VDB.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/